More and more these days, personal computers are taking on a different form, as Smart Phones and iPads are taking over the market. Desktop and laptop computer sales were down significantly last year, as users have been gravitating to the smaller devices that have the same capabilities, if not better.
So your first step, if you don’t already have one yet, is to get a Smart Phone. If you don’t already have one, you’re way behind the times already and really need to take advantage of this technology. Work smarter, not harder.
At the base of what makes an iPad or iPhone so powerfully handy to the business person, are the hot new applications. The following is a list of a few of the hottest apps on the market to help manage your business:
- Tripit: Planning a business trip can be job in itself. If you’ve ever had to make three connecting flights and rent a car on the same day, you know how important it is to keep all the details together with a simple itinerary. Tripit is an app that allows business travelers to do just that by keeping track of trip arrangements in one unified place. The app also gathers weather updates, maps, and directions to make traveling a breeze.
- Bump: Bump is a revolutionary networking app that allows entrepreneurs to ditch traditional business cards in favor of virtual ones. Users can trade contact information, photos, and files by simply touching their two smart phones together. The contact information is then transmitted to the other cell phone automatically. Since its inception in 2008, the app has garnered over 8 million monthly users and 27 million downloads. So they must be doing something right.
- Business Software:If you’re skilled enough to navigate software, PADGETT BUSINESS SERVICES® could be your answer. It’s always best to hire a professional tax preparer and PADGETT BUSINESS SERVICES® has a proven method for tracking your business and personal finances, without breaking the bank. If you decide to use software to help run your business,PADGETT BUSINESS SERVICES® has software programs that has been around for several years, and could be a good option. Their software allows you to keep track of your losses and profits, create invoices, analyze your return goals and manage your assets, net worth and liabilities.
- Google Drive: Building on Google Docs, Google’s new Drive app lets users seamlessly port and edit files from PC to tablet to smart phone. From your tablet or smart phone you can use the software as a fully-featured office suite as well as a cloud drive, which enables you to store any file type via a virtual drive app or a web interface. Google’s G-Mail is already the top choice for small business webmail, and their cloud storage is quickly proving to become a leader as well, offering up to 5GB of storage at no cost.
- Evernote: Have you ever needed to take notes while traveling or during an important business meeting? This easy-to-use, free app turns your cell phone into a voice recorder and note-taking device. Evernote helps you stay organized across all your devices. It lets you take notes, sync files, save web pages, capture photos, create to-do lists and record voice reminders. And it makes all these tasks completely searchable, whether you’re at home, at work, or on the go.
Focusing your efforts on those things that are truly important to the success of your enterprise is easier when you have a trusted partner to take good care of the details. For more than 40 years, PADGETT BUSINESS SERVICES® has been just such a partner for small business owners in all kinds of industries. Our “Small Biz Pros” serve their small business communities from more than 400 offices all over the United States and Canada. Let PADGETT handle your company’s bookkeeping, tax preparation, financial planning, payroll and financial reporting needs.
Do you have the support you need to manage your small business bookkeeping?
Schedule a 30-minute appointment to speak with a local small business adviser.