Children may help reduce the amount of taxes owed for the year.
If you’re a parent, here are several tax benefits that may apply to you:
- Dependents. In most cases, you can claim your child as a dependent. You can deduct $3,950 for each dependent you are entitled to claim. You must reduce this amount if your income is above certain limits.
- Child Tax Credit. You may be able to claim the Child Tax Credit for each of your qualifying children under the age of 17. The maximum credit is $1,000 per child. If you get less than the full amount of the credit, you may be eligible for the Additional Child Tax Credit.
- Child and Dependent Care Credit. You may be able to claim this credit if you paid for the care of one or more qualifying persons. Dependent children under age 13 are among those who qualify. You must have paid for care so that you could work or could look for work.
- Earned Income Tax Credit. You may qualify for EITC if you worked but earned less than $52,427 last year. You can get up to $6,143 in EITC. You may qualify with or without children. You can use the quick 2014 EITC Assistant tool at IRS.gov to see if you qualify.
- Adoption Credit. You may be able to claim a tax credit for certain costs you paid to adopt a child.
- Education tax credits. An education credit can help you with the cost of higher education. There are two credits that are available. The American Opportunity Tax Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit may reduce the amount of tax you owe. If the credit reduces your tax to less than zero, you may get a refund. Even if you don’t owe any taxes, you still may qualify.
- Student loan interest. You may be able to deduct interest you paid on a qualified student loan. You can claim this benefit even if you do not itemize your deductions.
- Self-employed health insurance deduction. If you were self-employed and paid for health insurance, you may be able to deduct premiums you paid during the year. This may include the cost to cover your children under age 27, even if they are not your dependent.
Do you have the support you need to manage your small business bookkeeping?
Contact us to schedule an appointment to speak with a local small business advisor.